Tuesday 29 October 2013

Surgery day.

This was one of the hardest days I have had in my life so far. Not to sound over dramatic, but it was brutal.
My heart raced, I was nauseated, my mind was going a mile a minute. For the whole 8 hours.

The worst part was that we had a misunderstanding on the time and were expecting him out of the OR hours before  he came out. This, of course, caused needless tears and more stress and anxiety until we found out it would be hours more. Then we were able to settle into more waiting.

Our day, although stressful, was a positive one. We knew he was in great hands, we knew the surgery was a must, we knew that he had gone into this a very healthy baby boy. He had amazing chances, and all odds seemed in his favour. The surgeon came out to talk to us, he told us the surgery was very successful and they expected a full recovery. Hector did wonderfully. 

After the hours and hours of waiting we were allowed to go see him, It was supper time. We had passed him to the OR nurse at 8 in the morning. He was hooked up to more wires, lines, and tubes, then space on his little body. Having worked in the hospital setting for years, this didn't scare me as much as I thought. Although, it being my own child allowed the silent tears to make their way down my cheeks.

He had a bunch of episodes of SVT throughout the evening, the Dr's told us that it wasn't surprising. His little heart was very irritated from surgery, but we should expect that he would be fine from there on out. They try non-medical intervention to bring the heart rate down first, holding a bag of ice on my baby's face was the last thing I was wanting to see, but amazingly it worked.

It was the longest day I have experienced, I am so very grateful that we are past it.

1 comment:

  1. When we love someone it is so hard to see them have to endure so much. As parents it is pain for us to be helpless in such times. Though apart in body, we cry with you too, for baby Hector, but also for you. It was something way beyond expectations. Through the tears came a strength bringing your family an even closer bond. Love.

    ReplyDelete